Although yahoo has limited customization options, you can change the appearance and the color/theme of the Yahoo Mail interface. However, you still don’t have full control over your customization. You cannot upload and change user define themes or images or even the color of the interface. You will need to choose among the themes and colors that the Yahoo Mail provides you with. In this article, I am going to guide you on how to customize your Yahoo Inbox through personalize inbox tab of the setting page. You can change the theme and layout of your inbox from the setting drop-down menu however, you cannot change the message preview and breaking news from the drop-down menu.
How to Customize your Yahoo Inbox using Desktop
Yahoo Mail has a limited customization option to customize yahoo inbox too. There are only size customization options: Theme, message layout, inbox spacing, and enabling or disabling: message tabs, message preview, and breaking news.
You can change the Theme, Message Layout, and Inbox spacing from the setting drop-down menu, but to enable the rest of the options, you need to go through Personalize inbox option from the setting page.
How to Change the Yahoo Mail interface color/Theme
- Open your browser and Sign-in to your Yahoo! Mail account.
If you cannot access your yahoo mail, probably you type in the wrong password. Here is the article that will guide you to recover your yahoo mail password.
- Click on the Mail icon from the top right corner of the page.
- Click on the gear icon in the upper-right corner of the Yahoo Mail page.
- On the settings drop-down menu, you can choose Color Scheme, Message Layout, and Inbox Spacing to customize your Yahoo Mail theme.
- If you go to Personalize inbox, you can add some more customizations to your Yahoo Mail.
To go to Personalize inbox, click on More Settings on the bottom of the setting dialogue box. And then click on Personalize inbox on the left sidebar.
This will open two sections on your window; one, personalize setting panel, and second the Preview panel.
- Under Theme, currently, you have 11 patterns or colors to choose three of which are landscape themes.
- Now select Light, Medium or Dark.
Light to make the change only in the header,
Medium to make a change in all over page except background of inbox area, and
Dark to apply theme in the inbox background as well.
Select any one of them, and you will see the theme preview on your Right panel “the preview panel,” this will also change the interface color automatically.
You can do these steps from the settings drop-down menu too.
How to Change Message Layout, Inbox Spacing
- The next option is to change the Message Layout.
The list is the default layout, where you will be able to view only the email addresses of the senders or the receivers in your mail. When you click on any of the mails from the list, it will open the mail in a new page.
Righ: this option will bring up a mail viewing panel right beside your mail section. This panel will display your emails without opening your mail on the next page. This option will show lists and messages side-by-side.
Likewise, the Bottom option will open your email viewing panel right below your email list.
- The next customization option is Inbox Spacing. You can choose a comfortable message list density from this option, space between the email lists.
There are three options to choose: Small, Medium, and Large. Choose what is comfortable for you.
- Your changes are saved automatically; you can exit without saving your changes.
Toggling Message Tabs, Preview and Breaking News
You can toggle on and off the message tabs, message preview, and the Breaking news from the Personalize inbox tab of setting page.
Message Tabs: Toggling on the message tab will open the tab section right above the Mail list, just like the tabs in your browser. This option will allow you to multitask.
Message preview: The message preview will display a short length of an email message on the mail list right beside the subject of the message. If you toggle this off, the email list will only display the sender’s name or the email and the subject of the message.
Image for message preview on
Image for message preview off
Finally, Breaking News: Toggling on the breaking news will enable news sections in your Inbox where only the breaking news will be displayed.
How to change Yahoo Mail interface color back to default
- Click on the Mail icon. Click the Gear icon in the upper-right of the page.
- Now, select the theme color blue, which appears in the first of the theme colors.
- After that, click on the light radio button
- Click anywhere outside of the drop-down menu to save the interface color.
Now you can have the same default theme/interface color, which was in the beginning after you signup Yahoo Mail account.
How to Customize Your Yahoo Inbox using Yahoo Mail App
- Open your Yahoo Mail Application and Log-in into your account.
- Click on the profile icon on the upper right corner of the screen.
- Now, from the menu, click on the Settings.
- Under Customize, your inbox click on Themes.
- Now select the theme color you want to use as the interface color of your Yahoo Mail App.
You can also turn on the Dark Mode. This will save some battery life for your mobile.
- Finally, click on the Save button on the upper right corner of the screen to confirm.
Now you can see the theme you choose as your Yahoo Mail app interface color.