It comes as no surprise that these days people are being targeted by hackers more than ever. They try to access your Yahoo email account, steal your personal information and even use the account for illegal purposes. So, it’s important to know if any unusual activity is detected in your Yahoo account.
To find out if any unusual activity is present in your Yahoo email account, you can check recent login details by following the steps below:
- Login to your yahoo mail account.
- Go to “Account Info” by selecting the hamburger menu if you are using the app and by clicking your profile picture if you are using your browser.
- Now, select the “Recent Activity” tab.
- Here, you can see all the activity that has taken place in your account including login details, IP addresses and devices used to access your account. If you find any activity that has been performed by someone other than you, then it is a sign of unusual activity.
If you find any suspicious activity in your Yahoo email account, the best thing to do would be to report it and change the password as soon as possible. Also, enable two-step verification for better security.
Keep reading this article to know more about unusual activity in the Yahoo email account.
What Is Unusual Activity?
Any activity performed by someone other than you in your account, such as logging into the account from an unknown IP address or device, could be considered unusual.
If anybody else rather than you tries to access your account, it is considered an unusual activity. In simple words, we can say that any activity that is not performed by you/ the account owner without your permission is called unusual activity.
Can We Detect If There Is Any Unusual Activity In My Yahoo Mail Account?
You can find out if any suspicious activity is on in your Yahoo account. It has made it a lot easier to detect early hacking attempts. You can check the login details, IP addresses, and devices used to access your account in the “Recent Activity” tab of your account information page to see if there is any unusual activity in your Yahoo email account.
How To Find Out Unusual Activity In Yahoo Email Account?
Basically, there are two ways to find out if something unusual is happening in your Yahoo email account-
Checking login details: You can check the login details to see if anyone other than you has accessed your account.
Checking account activity: In addition, you can also check the account activity to detect any unauthorized access or activities.
Let’s go into more detail about both these ways.
Checking Login Details:
You can check the login details to see if anyone other than you has accessed your account. To do this, follow these steps:
- Login to your yahoo mail account.
- Now, browse to the “Account Information” tab on your desktop or mobile app.
- Select “Recent login details” on the “Sign-In and Security” section.
- Here, you will be able to see a list of all devices that have logged into your account along with the date, time and IP address. If you find any login details that are not associated with you, then it is definitely a sign of unusual activity.
An unusual login is an indicator of some suspicious activity. Though any recent activity in your account can be a sign of hacking, an unusual login is one of the biggest red flags. So, if you find any such activity in your Yahoo email account, it is highly recommended to take some immediate action like reporting and changing the password.
Checking Account Activity:
Apart from checking login details, you can also check the account activity to detect any unauthorized access or activities. You will find all these details in your “Recent activity” tab on the same page where you checked login details. To check the account activity, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your yahoo email account.
- If you are using the yahoo mail app, access “Account Information” by clicking the gear icon on your app home screen.
- Else, click on your profile picture and select “Account Information” from the drop-down menu.
- Now, select “Recent activity” on the “Sign-In and Security” section.
- This page will show you a list of all the actions that have been performed in your account, such as adding a new contact, sending an email, logging in from a different location and more. If you see any activity that you don’t recognize or is not authorized by you, then it could be a sign of hacking or unusual activity.
If you find any unauthorized or unusual activity in your Yahoo email account, please take immediate action. You can report the activity, change your password or enable two-step verification for better account security.
What To Do If You Find Unauthorized Activity In Your Yahoo Account?
If you find any unusual activity in your Yahoo email account, it is mandatory to take immediate action. You can do any of the following:
If you see any unusual or unauthorized activity in your Yahoo email account, report it to Yahoo immediately. Once you submit a report, Yahoo will conduct a thorough investigation and take necessary action.
It would help if you also changed your password immediately after reporting unusual activity to secure your account from further damage or unauthorized access. If you haven’t changed the old password, it is highly recommended to do that as soon as possible.
If you have a secondary email account or any other mail-id, it is highly recommended to enable two-step verification for your Yahoo email account. This way, even if someone else manages to know the password of your Yahoo email account, they will not be able to access it as long as they don’t have your phone number.
You can also contact Yahoo Support if you need any further assistance.
Here are a few helpful tips to keep in mind if you want to protect your Yahoo email account from any unusual activity:
- Always use a strong and unique password for your Yahoo email account.
- Enable two-step verification for better account security.
- Check the “Recent login details” section every once in a while to keep track of any suspicious activity.
- Do not share the password of your email account with anyone else.
- Try using different passwords if you use the same password for multiple accounts/services.
- Don’t reuse the security questions again and again; try to use random security questions every time you sign up for any service or shop online.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs):
Still have some unanswered questions? Check out our FAQs below for more information on Yahoo mail security and privacy features.
Is my yahoo email account secure with the highest level of encryption?
Yes! All your emails sent or received via Yahoo Mail are encrypted with TLS (Transport Layer Security) protocol. This ensures that your emails are safe and secure while in transit.
What is two-step verification?
Two-step verification is an extra layer of security that helps protect your Yahoo account from unauthorized access. When enabled, this feature will require you to provide a unique code sent to your mobile number or email address(if secondary) before you sign in.
What is considered as unusual activity in a Yahoo email account?
Unusual activity can be defined as any activities that are not authorized by you or fall outside your normal pattern of behavior for using your Yahoo email account.
Can I know if someone is trying to access my Yahoo email account from a different location?
A. Yes, you can find that information in the “Recent activity” tab on your “Account Information” page, as mentioned above.
Q: How do I report an unusual login or other suspicious activities related to my Yahoo account?
You can report the activity by following these steps-
- Login to your yahoo email account and go to “Account Information” tab.
- Click on the “Report Unusual Activity” link in the “Security Updates” section on the right side of the page.
- Enter all the required information and click on “Submit” button.
You can also report the activity by contacting Yahoo customer care.
Overall, it is important to be proactive about the security of your Yahoo email account and take the necessary steps to protect it from any unauthorized access. You can do this by using strong passwords, enabling two-step verification, and checking for unusual activity regularly. If you ever encounter anything suspicious or have any questions related to the security of your Yahoo email account, you can always contact Yahoo customer care for assistance.