If you are new to Yahoo Mail, here is a thing, Yahoo is one of the best webmail platforms that offers so many services that we call Yahoo Services. And among them is Yahoo Contacts or address book. So, create a Yahoo mail account today and explore all of the services that Yahoo provides.
Your Yahoo address book or contact list is a way to organize all your personal and business contacts at a single place. You can add a person’s personal details like phone number, email address, locations, birthday and many more. Yahoo Contact keeps your address book organizes in such a way that you will not have to search your emails for your particular contacts.
You can even sync the contacts in your Yahoo Address book with your mobile device, with just a single click.
Adding Contact in Yahoo Mail is very easy you just need to follow some procedure and you are done. With the current new update, the procedure is quite different than what we used to follow previously. There are different ways you can add contacts in Yahoo Mail and today in this article we will be discussing all of them.
As of the update of Yahoo in 2019, the User Interface of Yahoo Contacts has changed thus, the procedure of adding or accessing Yahoo contacts has also been changed. So, let’s look at the new procedure to access Yahoo Contacts.
There are various ways to add contacts to your Ymail account. In this article, you will be learning about adding contacts to your Yahoo Mail using multiple techniques.
Manually Adding new Contacts to Yahoo Mail Contacts In New Yahoo Mail
If the steps that are explained below do not work for your check out the Yahoo basic mail’s step. follow the steps given right after the steps below.
- First, log in to your Yahoo Mail Account: https://login.yahoo.com/
- Then, tap on the Mail icon from your Yahoo Home page to get inside your inbox area.
- Now, tap on the Contacts icon on the upper right corner of the page. It’s on the navigation bar of your right sidebar.
- Now, you will see a +Add a new contact at the end or at the footer of your right sidebar. Click the button to open a form to add contacts in Yahoo Mail.
- Now, fill-up the form with a person’s detail: Contact Name, Nickname, Email Phone Number, Address, Work Detail, and Personal details.
- Finally, click the Save button to save the contacts on your Yahoo’s address book.
Manually Adding Contacts in Yahoo Address Book Using Yahoo Basic Mail
First, in order to use the Yahoo Basic mail, switch your current/new Yahoo Mail to basic mail. To do so, tap on the Settings gear icon on the upper right corner of your screen then click More Settings. Now, locate Switch Switch to basic Mail from the left sidebar of your settings page and click it to switch to Yahoo Basic Mail.
Now, follow the steps to add contacts to the Yahoo Address book.
- From the Yahoo Basic Mail, tap on the Contacts tab from the navigation bar of the inbox page. Taps are right below the search box of your landing page.
- Now, tap on Add Contacts from the contacts page that is right below the search box of the address book.
- A new form will appear on your screen containing information: Name and Contact Information.
- Now fill-up the form enter your contacts detail like First name, Middle Name, Last name their email id, Nickname, and contact number. This is all you can add from the basic mail.
- Now, click on the Save button to save your contact. Repeat the process to add more contacts manually.
If you want to edit the contacts detail, I would recommend editing it from the new yahoo mail as you will get many more fields like adding birthdays, notes and many more.
Adding Contacts from Received Messages on Ymail
When you are reading an email, hover your mouse button over the sender’s name, this will open a dialogue box containing a copy address, new message, and search for messages for this particular person and Add to Contacts.
If you click on the Add to Contacts or use shortcut key Shift+A, you can edit the user detail before saving it to the new contact.
Or in the current version of Yahoo Mail, the user detail will open up in the right sidebar of your email page if you click the user’s email address or username.
Now, click on the +add to contacts link to open the form to edit the user detail before saving it to your Address Book.
Adding Contacts when Sending a Message
Adding contact when you send a message to contact is quite simple. For this, you need to login to your ymail account, go to Settings>Writing emails and enable or click the checkbox to automatically add a new recipient to contact on When sending messages.
How to Import Contact List from Another Email Account to Ymail Account
If you have any other email account like Gmail, Outlook, AOL or Facebook, you can directly import contacts to Yahoo Mail Contacts from these accounts.
Here is an example:
In the following case, I am importing contacts from my Gmail Account to Ymail Account. You can import contacts from any other site following the same steps.
- Click on the Mail anchor text on the top right corner of your homepage.
- In the right navigation bar, click on the Contacts symbol.
- All your contacts will open on your right sidebar.
- Now click the three vertical dots on the upper right corner of your contacts.
you can click the settings gear icon and tap on more settings to open the settings page.
from the settings page, tap on the Social accounts tab on the left sidebar.
- Now, from the Social accounts page, select the webmail service from where you want to import your contact. Here in my case its Gmail. So, I click Import right next to Gmail.
- Next, a new page will open containing a list of your Gmail accounts logged into your browser or a signing page will appear on that page.
In both the case, log in to the account from where you would like to import contacts from.
- Once you are logged in, Gmail will ask for your permission to grant yahoo to access your Gmail to fetch your contacts from Gmail.
Tap on the Allow button to grant permission.
- Now, the page will exit and Yahoo will automatically import all your contacts from Gmail to Yahoo Contacts.
To abort the fetching of your address book tap on Stop importing. This will cancel the importing of contacts.
Can you Import Contact List Using Yahoo Basic Mail
Currently, you don’t have an option to import contacts to your Yahoo Address Book using Yahoo Basic Mail.
Create New Contact List of your Choice on Ymail Account
There might be various reasons you want to separate a group of people to end the message. You might want to send a message using BCC or CC, or sending emails to your department colleague at once, or sending a message to your peer group, etc.
The following steps will guide you to create and use Yahoo mail Contact Lists or Distribution Lists.
- First, log in to your Ymail account.
- Click on the Contacts Symbol on your right navigation bar.
- On the right sidebar, right below the Search contacts tap on the Lists tab.
- If you don’t have any lists, your list will be empty. So to create one tap on + Create list.
- Now, on the create list form, give your list a name.
- Again to add contacts to the list, start typing their name in Add contacts text field, Yahoo will automatically suggest the names you just typed.
- select the person and that contact will be added to the list.
you can add as many contacts as you want in a contact list.
- Now, hit the enter button and you are done, you just created a Contact list in Yahoo Contacts.
Now you need to add contacts to this list as it is empty at the moment to do so, follow the next steps.
Adding Contacts to your New Contact List on Yahoo Mail
Now, if you want to add more contacts in your Contact lists follow these simple steps.
- After you logged in to your Yahoo Mail, click on the contacts icon on your upper right corner.
- Now, tap on the Lists tab on the navigating bar of your right sidebar.
- Select the Contact list with the help of the dropdown menu.
- Now, click Edit right next to the dropdown menu.
- Type in the contacts that you want to add to the list on the Add contacts field.
- Hit the enter button and your contacts will be saved.
Removing Contacts from a List/Contact Group on Yahoo Mail
To delete contacts from your Contact List follow the following steps.
- First login to your Yahoo Mail and tap on the Contacts icon from the navigation bar of your right sidebar.
- Next, tap on the Lists tab to open your user-defined lists or group.
- Now, using the drop-down on the List page on your right sidebar, select the list from where you want to remove the contact.
- Next, click edit right next to the drop-down menu.
- Now, look through the group list and click on the X mark right next to the contact that you want to remove from the group.
The contact will automatically be removed from your list.
Finding Contacts on Yahoo Mail Account
To search for your contact, there is a search box on your Contact page of Yahoo mail. Its also in the right sidebar of your Yahoo Mail page. You can type the name of the recipient and click Search Contact. It will render all the contact associated with that name on your contact list.
Finding Contacts on Yahoo Basic Mail
To search contacts using Yahoo’s Basic Mail, the first load up your inbox area. Then click on the Contacts tab from the navigation bar. Now type in your query in the contacts search box and click the search button to search your contacts in the Yahoo Address Book.
Edit Contact Detail on Ymail Account
- Login to your Yahoo Mail account and tap on the Contacts icon on the navigation bar of your right sidebar.
- Now, once all the contact details are listed on your right sidebar search for the contacts you want to edit the detail of.
You can make use of the search box on the contacts bar to search for the contacts.
- Now, click the contacts to open the full view of the contact.
- Now, on the user’s detail page, click on the three horizontal dots to open hidden menus.
- Click on the Edit contact option from the hidden menu/drop-down menu.
- There you go, you are provided with an edit for the user in the same right sidebar of your inbox page. edit the user’s detail and click the Save Button to save your change.
To add your contact, the minimum requirement is the first name and an email address.
Edit Contacts Detail in Yahoo Mail Basic
- First login to your Yahoo basic mail.
- Then from your inbox area, click on the Contacts tab to open your Yahoo Address Book.
- Now, search for the contacts that you want to edit the detail of.
- Click on the pencil icon on the contact to open the edit form.
- Now, edit the user’s detail on the edit page that is opened on your screen
- Finally, click on Save Button to save the change.
Note: Fields in Yahoo Basic Mail are limited. You don’t get to add personal details or organization detail with the basic version of yahoo mail. To get full functionality use the newer version of yahoo mail.
Delete Contact Detail on Ymail Account
To delete the Contacts from your Yahoo Mail, follow the steps:
- Open the address book by clicking on the contacts icon from the right sidebar.
- In the newer version of yahoo, you are not allowed to select multiple contacts to delete. So, you will manually have to select the contact and delete them.
- now, click on a contact that you want to delete.
- Click on the three horizontal dots once the contact details open on the sidebar.
- Then click on the delete option from the dropdown menu.
- Finally, confirm your deletion by click on the Delete button on the deleting pop-up dialogue box.
You cannot add a new contact with the same email address you just deleted.
Delete Contact Detail on Yahoo Basic Mail
Deleting contact using yahoo basic mail is quite simple. You just need to open the Yahoo Address Book. Then a list of all your contacts will appear on your screen. Now, click on the bin icon right next to the contact you want to delete. That’s all.
Restore or Permanently Delete Contacts on Ymail Account
To permanently remove or restore deleted contacts follow the steps.
- Click on the Deleted Contacts from the left navigation bar.
- Check the contacts you want to delete permanently or restore.
Click on Delete Permanently button to delete contacts permanently or Restore Button to restore the contact to the contact list.
- Click on Done to complete the step.
How to Back up Contacts from Yahoo Mail Account
To back up your contact list, you need to export your contacts to your PC. Follow the following steps to back up your contacts.
- First, open the Yahoo Address book by click on the contacts icon from the upper right corner of your inbox page.
- Then, tap on the three horizontal dots from the contacts page to open up a hidden menu.
- From the dropdown menu, tap on the Export option.
- This will shortly export your contacts in CSV file format. You can open the downloaded file using Microsoft Excel.
Learn how to add a recovery email account on the ymail account so that if you are locked out of your ymail there is always a way in.