Changing your password each month is a great practice. Changing your Yahoo Mail password can protect you from data breaches. It’s a good idea to change your Yahoo Mail password every few months. This keeps you ahead of the curve and puts your personal information, emails at minimal risk.
Here is how you can change your Yahoo mail password:
- Login to your yahoo mail account.
- Click on your username and select “Account Info.”
- On the Settings page, click to select “Account Security.”
- Now, select the “Change Password” link.
- Set a new strong password and save the changes. And you are done.
Read this article till the end to know more about changing your yahoo mail password.
Steps to Change Your Yahoo Mail Password
- Login to your Yahoo Mail account as you would typically do.
- Click on your username at the top right corner of your homepage. A drop-down menu will appear containing your name, email address and Account info. Click Account info.
- This will redirect you to setting page of Yahoo Mail. You will see Personal Info, Account Security, Recent Activity, Preferences, and help on your left sidebar and a dashboard in the middle of your screen.
- Click on Account Security; you might need to verify by re-login to your Yahoo Mail account.
- Now Account Security page will open in your dashboard containing a link called Change Password on How you sign in the menu. Click on Change Password.
- A new page will open on your screen through which you can change your password.
Now set a new password for your Yahoo Mail.
To make your password strong use different characters, upper case, lower case, numbers, and symbols. For Example “[email protected]()rD!” is a great password option. Be creative and create your own password which no one would ever guess.
You will be required to enter the same password twice to conforming new password.
- Click Continue to change the password. Now you will be redirected to a new page to add recovery email and phone number.
If you forgot your password and got locked out, you can recover your yahoo mail password using your recovery email or your phone number.
If you haven’t set up your recovery account add Yahoo Mail recovery account.
- Now click on Looks good, and you will be redirected to your Account Security.
If you have any other device that has your Yahoo Mail Account logged in, you will need to re-login with your new Yahoo Mail password.
That’s it; you have successfully changed your Yahoo Mail Password. Make sure that you save your password in any password manager software, or use whatever other methods to remember your password. Since it can sometimes be difficult to regain access to your Yahoo Mail account if you forgot your new password.
How to Change Yahoo password on Android?
You can also change the yahoo password from your mobile phone too. If you have installed Yahoo Mail App on your phone, then you can change your Yahoo Password from your mobile with few taps. Here is the step to change/update your Yahoo Mail password on your Android Device using Yahoo Mail App.
- First, open the Yahoo Mail Application installed on your device. If you don’t have Yahoo Mail installed, then you can install it from the Google Play store.
- Tap on the Yahoo icon located on the top right of the screen. It will expand the navigation menu.
- Tap on the Manage accounts option from the navigation menu. Manage Accounts section will open.
- Tap on Account Info option from Manage Accounts section. Account Info section will open.
- From the Account Info section, tap on the Security Setting option. The application will ask you to enter your device PIN/pattern/fingerprint to continue. Enter the valid data. You will be redirected to the Account Security Section.
- Tap on Change Password option from the Account Security Section.
Note: You will not see the Change password option if your account has a Yahoo Account key setup. You need to disable the Yahoo Account key first to change the password.
- After you clicked Change password, Yahoo App may show you a Pop up saying “Use Yahoo Account Key,” ignore it and tap on “I would rather change my password” text on the bottom of the screen. It will redirect you to Set a new password section.
- Enter your desired password on New password and Confirm new password input field and click Continue. Note: If you want to make your new password strong, then check our section “How to Create a strong password?“
- Congratulation, you have successfully changed the Yahoo Mail password using your Android Phone.
How to Change Yahoo Password on iPhone?
Yahoo has launched Yahoo Mail Application both for Android and iPhone. For the ease of use when users switch from Android to iPhone or vice versa, Yahoo has made the Appearance of application on both Android and iPhone very similar. Due to which the steps we follow are also always almost the same. Hence, the steps to change yahoo password on the iPhone are the same as for Android. To change the yahoo password on iPhone, follow the steps from the section “How to change the yahoo password on Android?” of the article.
How to Create a strong password?
Do you want to make your account more secure? Then the first thing you need to do is set a strong password. Accounts with weak passwords are vulnerable to an attack like a Dictionary attack. Here are some tips for choosing a strong password for your email account.
- Use unique words that are not common – A lot of people use a very simple and common word like “password.” Please don’t use such words that can be easily guessed.
- Password length: Usually, having more than ten letters on a password is considered safe. It’s simple math; longer the password safer the password is.
- Don’t use your info as password – You must avoid using your personal information like your name, DOB(Date Of Birth), phone number, etc. as a password. Anyone close to you can easily guess that.
- Don’t use the same password for every Account – If you use the same password for every account, then the chances of your account getting hacked multiplies by the number of the account you have. When one account gets compromised, there is a chance another account will be compromised too.
- Use special characters and numbers – It’s best practice to insert some special characters ([email protected]#$%^*) or some digits(1234567890) to your password.
- Avoid sequence of characters on your password – Sequence character means characters that are on a specific pattern. e.g., 12345, QWERTY, etc. Don’t use such a pattern on your password.
How to reset my yahoo password without an alternate email or phone number?
If you don’t know your current password, then you can reset your Yahoo password using an alternate email. If you haven’t set your alternate email or don’t have access to an alternate email, then you can reset your Yahoo password using your phone number. If by chance, you don’t have access to your phone number or haven’t set your phone number, then you can recover your account using Secret Security Questions. If you don’t remember the Secret Security Questions answer, then there is only one option left. You have to contact Yahoo Customer Support. For more detail on this topic, check our article “How to Recover Yahoo Password.“
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
I guess you have some more questions about yahoo mail. So, here are some frequently asked questions(FAQs).
What is a strong password?
A strong password should have the following characteristics:
- It should be minimum 12 characters long.
- Include upper and lower case letters, numbers and symbols in the password.
- Don’t use your name or any part of it as a password. Don’t share with anyone else either! It’s very easy for someone to guess your email if they know your name.
- Don’t use words in the dictionary or simple English sentences like “Joe is 20 years old”, etc. It’s easy for hackers to guess this kind of password too!
- Don’t use your phone number, birth date or zip code in the password.
A strong password is harder to guess and it’s more difficult for hackers to crack. Try using random words like “cannonball” instead of something easy to guess like “monkey”! If you are not sure about how to make a strong password, use an online generator.
Is there a limit on the number of passwords I can use?
No! You don’t have to worry about using a different password for every account. It’s not possible for hackers to hack all your accounts at once. If one gets hacked, they’ll hack others too and you will be notified by Yahoo mail if that happens!
Do I need to enter my password every time I sign into my account?
No. You should only need to enter your password if you’re signing in from a new device or location, after first signing in on this computer using the same browser as before. For example, if you’ve been signed in on a laptop and then tried to access Yahoo Mail from the desktop by entering your password, you won’t be prompted to enter your Yahoo mail password again for that session.
I guess now you will be able to change your yahoo mail password. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment below!