Two-factor verification is a type of authentication method in which a user is only granted access to their account after they are successfully able to grant two forms of password or two sources of evidence of their account. So in this article, we will be learning how to enable two-factor verification in your yahoo account.
What is Two Factor Verification
Two factors verification (2fa), also known as two-step authorization. It is a type of multi-factor authentication in which permission is only granted after you successfully combine two factors:
- Something that you are.
- Something that you know.
- And something that you have.
This process of verification plays an important role by providing adequate security to your Identity and prevents the breaching of your identity. It is a proper way of conforming either the claimed account is yours or not. Two-factor authentication can reduce identity theft in a significant amount. Two-factor authentications require your password, and you can get access to your account after you enter the code you receive on your mobile via SMS or a call.
Enabling two-factor authentication in yahoo or any other platform is very important. If some else gets a hold of your information and passwords, the only way to log in would by your phone number, disabling the other person to get access to your account. Only gaining access to your password won’t be enough to open your account. You will also require various other factors, hence it is called two-factor authentications.
Increased security, reduced fraud, and easier access to your information are some of the advantages of the 2FA. There are almost no chances for other people to get a hold of your account after you successfully enable two-factor authentications. As the security breach is increasing, many websites are now making it mandatory for an account to get multi-factor verification similar to the two-factor verification.
Steps to Enable Two-Factor Verification in Yahoo Mail
The process to enable two-factor authentication is quite simple. And here is the way you can enable the two-factor authentication in yahoo:
- After you open your browser, log in to your Yahoo Mail.
- Now, click on the profile icon that is present in the upper right corner of your screen.
- Then, from the drop-down menu, click on the Account information right below your username.
- Now, from the left sidebar of your Account info page, click on the Account Security tab. [You might need to log in at this point to verify it’s you.]
- In the account security page, search for two-factor verification (2fa) and enable it by toggling on the on-off switch.
- Now, a new dialogue box will open on your screen containing a form to add in your mobile phone number along with the country code. Now enter your phone number through which you want to verify your account. You need to type in your country code in front of it. (E.g. USA code: +1).
- Now, you can either choose to get a code or a call to verify your number. If you click the Send SMS button, you will receive a code from Yahoo. You will need to enter in the next step. Or you will get a call from Yahoo where an operator will tell you the code. You will need to use the code to verify your phone number. Choose one of the two.
- Now enter the code in the text box and click the Verify Button. If you didn’t receive a code, then you can click the resent button to resend your code.
And this is how you enable two-factor authentication in your yahoo account. Now, every time you log in to your Yahoo Mail from a New device or new location, you will be asked with a verification code. This will be used to sign in to your Yahoo Mail after your password is verified. Talking about the password verification, you can go with passwordless authentication in your yahoo mail. And this is a method to secure your Yahoo Mail is called enabling Yahoo Account Key. It’s similar to two-factor verification but requires Yahoo Application installed in your device. This way, whenever you log in to yahoo mail from any device or any location, you will get a notification in your Yahoo Application through with you can grant the access of the login request. This way, you will not have to enter your password. So, to enable yahoo account key, do read out an article on Yahoo Account Key.