Two-factor verification is a type of authentication method in which a user is only granted access to their account after they are successfully able to grant two forms of password or two sources of evidence of their account. So in this article, we will be learning how to enable two-factor verification in your yahoo account.
To enable two-factor verification in yahoo, follow these steps:
- Login to your Yahoo mail account.
- Click on the profile icon and select “Account Information” in the drop-down menu.
- Now, select “Account Security Tab.”
- You will see the “Two Factor Verification” option. Enable it by toggling on the on-off icon.
- Verify your phone number.
And you are done. Congratulations on setting two factor verification!
What is Two Factor Verification?
Two factors verification (2fa), also known as two-step authorization. It is a type of multi-factor authentication in which permission is only granted after you successfully combine two factors:
- Something that you are.
- Something that you know.
- And something that you have.
This process of verification plays an important role by providing adequate security to your Identity and prevents the breaching of your identity. It is a proper way of conforming either the claimed account is yours or not. Two-factor authentication can reduce identity theft by a significant amount. Two-factor authentications require your password, and you can get access to your account after you enter the code you receive on your mobile via SMS or a call.
Enabling two-factor authentication in yahoo or any other platform is very important. If some else gets a hold of your information and passwords, the only way to log in would be by your phone number, disabling the other person to get access to your account. Only gaining access to your password won’t be enough to open your account. You will also require various other factors, hence it is called two-factor authentications.
Increased security, reduced fraud, and easier access to your information are some of the advantages of the 2FA. There are almost no chances for other people to get a hold of your account after you successfully enable two-factor authentications. As the security breach is increasing, many websites are now making it mandatory for an account to get multi-factor verification similar to the two-factor verification.
Steps to Enable Two-Factor Verification in Yahoo Mail from Browser
The process to enable two-factor authentication is quite simple. And here is the way you can enable the two-factor authentication in yahoo:
- After you open your browser, log in to your Yahoo Mail.
- Now, click on the profile icon that is present in the upper right corner of your screen.
- Then, from the drop-down menu, click on the Account information right below your username.
- Now, from the left sidebar of your Account info page, click on the Account Security tab. [You might need to log in at this point to verify it’s you.]
- In the account security page, search for two-factor verification (2fa) and enable it by toggling on the on-off switch.
- Now, a new dialogue box will open on your screen containing a form to add in your mobile phone number along with the country code. Now enter your phone number through which you want to verify your account. You need to type in your country code in front of it. (E.g. USA code: +1).
- Now, you can either choose to get a code or a call to verify your number. If you click the Send SMS button, you will receive a code from Yahoo. You will need to enter in the next step. Or you will get a call from Yahoo where an operator will tell you the code. You will need to use the code to verify your phone number. Choose one of the two.
- Now enter the code in the text box and click the Verify Button. If you didn’t receive a code, then you can click the resent button to resend your code.
Steps to Disable Two-Factor Verification in Yahoo Mail from Browser
To disable Two-Factor Verification in Yahoo Mail toggle off the “Two-step verification” switch located on Account Security Page. The detailed steps are:
- Go to the Yahoo Mail login page and Sign in by your valid Yahoo credential.
- Click on the profile icon from the upper right corner and select the Account information option from the dropdown.
- Click on the Account Security tab from the left navigation bar from the Account information page.
- Since you have enabled Two-Factor Verification in Yahoo Mail, “Two-step verification” switch will be toggled on. Click on the switch to turn it off.
Steps to Enable Two-Factor Verification in Yahoo Mail using Yahoo Mail Mobile Application
If you are a more mobile person and mostly use mobile rather than a laptop or desktop, then you can Enable Two-Factor Verification in Yahoo Mail using Yahoo Mail Mobile Application also. We have mentioned the detailed steps below:
- Open the Yahoo Mail Application from your Android/iPhone device. If you don’t have Yahoo Mail Application, then you can install it from Google Play Store for Android Devices and App Store for iPhone Device.
- Once you open the Yahoo Mail Application, log in to your Yahoo Mail Application using your correct Yahoo username and password.
- Tap on the profile icon located on the top right of your screen from the Inbox Page. The navigation side menu will expand.
- Tap on the Settings option from the Navigation menu. Manage Accounts page will open.
- Tap on Account Info option from the list of your yahoo account that you want to enable Two-Factor Verification on. Account Info page will open.
- Tap on Security Settings option from Account Info Page.
- Toggle on the Toggle button located on the left of the Two-step verification section on your Security Settings page.
- Once you toggle on the two-step verification switch, A dialog box will appear. Enter your phone number and tap on the Send SMS button. Yahoo Server will send you the SMS, which contains a five-digit verification code.
Note: If you tap on Call me, then Yahoo Server will call you and give you the verification code via call.
- Enter the verification code that you received to your mobile number from SMS and tap on the Verify button.
- Congratulation, you have successfully set up two-step verification. A dialog box saying “You’ve enabled two-step verification” will appear.
Steps to Disable Two-Factor Verification in Yahoo Mail using Yahoo Mail Mobile Application
To Disable Two-Factor verification in Yahoo Mail just go to your Yahoo Mail App’s Security Settings Page and toggle of the Two-step verification. We have mentioned the detailed steps below:
- Open the Yahoo Mail Application from your Android/iPhone device and login to your Yahoo Mail.
- Tap on the profile icon located on the top right of your screen from the Inbox Page. The navigation menu will open.
- Tap on the Settings option from the Navigation menu. Manage Accounts page will open.
- Tap on the Account Info option. Account Info page will open.
- Tap on the Security Settings option.
- Toggle off the Toggle button located on the left of the Two-step verification section on your Security Settings page.
- You have successfully disabled Two-Factor Verification in Yahoo Mail using your Mobile Phone.
What are the Benefits of Yahoo Two-Factor Verification
Two-factor verification has two major benefits: It strengthens security and Increases flexibility. Let’s discuss those two benefits in more detail.
Two-factor verification strengthens security:
The two-factor verification process adds up the extra layer of security. It makes sure that the user trying to log into Yahoo Mail is he and not intruder. It asks for additional mobile verification from the user to add up the security level and to prevent hacking of Email.
Two-Factor Verification increase productivity and flexibility:
With the introduction of Two-Factor Verification on Yahoo Mail, an enterprise is also getting attracted to using Yahoo Mail as it is now more secure. Employees can now securely access their confidential organization data, documents, and back-office systems from mobile and other laptops or networks, putting their organization information at risk.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
How do I add more security to my yahoo mail?
To add more security to your yahoo email account, you can enable two step verification feature. When you enable this feature, the Yahoo will ask you additional information when logging into your account from a new device or location. Once it is enabled, after signing in with your password, Yahoo will send a code on your mobile number which should be entered to complete the login process.
Can I use Microsoft authenticator for Yahoo Mail?
Presently, Microsoft authenticator is not compatible with Yahoo Mail. Although, Microsoft has mentioned that it will be soon released for Yahoo users to keep their account secure.
How To Delete Yahoo Account Permanently?
I am sorry to see you go. But, it seems like you have already made up your mind. So, here is how you can delete your Yahoo account permanently.
- Go to your Account’s Yahoo Account Deletion Page.
- From the page, click the “Continue delete my account” button.
- Enter your Email address on Confirmation Modal and click “Yes, terminate this account” button.
- Finally, click on the “Sounds good” button.
Visit Delete the Yahoo Mail Account-Permanently to know more.
And this is how you enable two-factor authentication in your yahoo account. Now, every time you log in to your Yahoo Mail from a New device or new location, you will be asked with a verification code. This will be used to sign in to your Yahoo Mail after your password is verified. Talking about password verification, you can go with passwordless authentication in your yahoo mail. And this is a method to secure your Yahoo Mail is called enabling Yahoo Account Key. It’s similar to two-factor verification but requires Yahoo Application installed on your device. This way, whenever you log in to yahoo mail from any device or any location, you will get a notification in your Yahoo Application through with you can grant access to the login request. This way, you will not have to enter your password. So, to enable the yahoo account key, do read out an article on Yahoo Account Key.