Phishing is a scam that tries to steal information from unsuspecting users. Yahoo, one of the most popular email providers, has been known for having its user’s emails hacked and stolen. A large number of people have been victims of Yahoo phishing attacks. As a result, the victims have lost their information and accounts. To help you stay safe, I have put together this guide to report phishing on Yahoo:
To report phishing on Yahoo, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your yahoo mail account.
- Search for the phishing mail in your Inbox.
- You will see a V-shaped line next to the “Spam” button. Select it.
- Finally, click on “Report a Phishing Scam” button.
This is one of the methods to report phishing on yahoo. Read more to know how to report phishing on Yahoo when you still have the email and what to do if you don’t have it anymore.
Phishing is a scam that tries to steal information from unsuspecting users. Yahoo, one of the most popular email providers, has been known for having its user’s emails hacked and stolen. According to CNET News, there are about 50 million yahoo accounts have experienced spam attacks in just two months(December 2015). A large number of people have fallen victim to Yahoo phishing attacks. As a result, the victims have lost their information and accounts.
Phishers send a fake email that looks like a legitimate email from a company or service provider. These emails may request the user to update their personal information such as username, password, name, etc., by clicking on a link leading them to a phishing website where they are asked to enter details of credit cards and bank accounts. In case if users try entering any key, they will be asked to enter their credit card information. Phishers use this information to make purchases and run away with the money.
How To Detect Phishing Mails?
It is important to report phishing on Yahoo to help others be safe. Watch out for these telltale signs of phishing:
- An email with incorrect grammar and spelling mistakes asking you to click a link or download an attachment.
- A suspicious-looking sender’s address, usually written in poor English.
If your account gets compromised then immediately change the password otherwise other cybercriminals can steal your information as well.
When Do I Report Phishing On Yahoo?
You can report phishing on Yahoo when you still have the email. This is possible only if you haven’t opened or clicked on any link within it yet. But, dont let go if you dont have the email anymore. You can still report phishing and help save others from the same scam.
Reporting early helps others be safe and also makes it easier for the investigation team to track down sources of such scams. So, please try to reach out to the team as soon as possible.
How To Report Phishing On Yahoo?
As soon as you come across a phishing email, it is important to report phishing on yahoo right away.
You can report phishing while you still have the email as well as if you dont have the phishing mail anymore. Today, I will guide you on how to report phishing on yahoo in both situations.
When You Still Have the Phishing Mail:
If you still have the phishing mail, then follow these steps to report that email as a scam:
Step 1: Sign In To Your Yahoo Account.
Visit the official site of Yahoo or open the Yahoo app and sign in to your account.
Step 2: Search For The Phishing Mail In Your Inbox.
Now, navigate to “Inbox” and search for the phishing mail in your Inbox.
Step 3: Click On V-Shaped Symbol
Once you find the phishing mail, click on the V-shaped symbol which is beside the “Spam” button.
Step 4: Click On Report A Phishing Scam Button To Report Phishing On Yahoo Mail.
Finally, click on the “Report a Phishing Scam” button and share the necessary information with the investigation team. This will help them in tracking down sources
If you have already opened or clicked on any link within the mail, I would advise you not to click anything else from that email as well. Doing so might open a new window and lead you directly to a phishing page where your information could be stolen without even knowing about its existence.
-When You Don’t Have The Email Anymore
If you don’t have access to the email anymore then follow these steps to help others stay safe and also make it easier for the investigation team to track down sources of such scams:
Steps to Report Phishing on Yahoo (when you dont have the email anymore.)
- Firstly, navigate to Yahoo’s Customer Care Yahoo’s Customer Care page.
- Now, from the drop-down menu, select “Mail.”
- Then, its time to select your device from the second drop-down menu.
- Next, enter your Yahoo credentials and select “Abuse and Spam” from the menu.
- After that, click on “Report Phishing Scam” button.
- Finally, enter the below details in their corresponding fields and hit “Send.”
- Subject of your email containing phishing mail or URL of that site which you think is a scam.
- The full content within the body of phising mail/URL if it contains any sensitive information about yourself like credit card details,money transaction ids etc.
- Your full name and contact number which you want to be displayed while reporting phishing on Yahoo Mail.
You can also share any screenshots of the email with its content.
Now, you will receive an automated call from Yahoo’s investigation team within 48 hours. Keep your phone nearby and listen to what they have to say carefully! It might be a good idea to note down their suggestions or instructions during that time.
Already Entered Yahoo Credentials On Phishing Site?
If you already entered your Yahoo credentials on the phishing site, dont give up yet. Change your password and reset your account’s security questions.
Then, report phishing on yahoo.
There is a pretty good chance that your email account will be recovered. So, dont lose hope and try to report phishing on yahoo as soon as possible.
How To Avoid Victimization From Phishing?
The best way to avoid victimization from phishing scams are:
- Don’t click on suspicious-looking emails.
- Keep good antivirus software installed on your device to stay safe.
- Always have a strong password for your email accounts and social media profiles that is difficult enough to break by hackers or cybercriminals.
- Don’t click on any link within the mail that you are not sure about. It could be a phishing site or it may also take to your existing Yahoo account(only if you have clicked on it before). So, better check with reliable sources first to confirm whether it’s legit or not.
- If you are using yahoo mail then change your password immediately upon getting an email that your account has been compromised.
Is Phishing And Scamming The Same?
No, they are not the same. Phishing is a scam that tries to steal information from unsuspecting users while Scamming is an attempt of fraud or cheating, someone, by dishonest means, especially out of money.
Phishing and Scamming are increasing at an alarming rate and it is difficult to stay safe in this digital world. More than 55 million phishing attacks were reported in just one year(2016).
These are two different cybercrimes that can both affect your online safety and security. It is therefore important to report these cyberattacks to make the internet a safe place to be.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
Here, I have answered your concerns regarding phishing and scamming.
Is Phishing A Crime?
Sometimes it’s not, but when it is done with criminal intention then yes it’s an offense punishable by law in many countries including the US, Canada, etc.
Is Scamming Considered As Cybercrime?
Yes, if the act of cheating someone online has been conducted using electronic communication, it is a cybercrime.
How Can I Stay Safe From Phishing And Scamming?
- Keep your device secure at all times. Make sure to update its antivirus regularly if you are using any third-party security software.
- Use strong passwords that consist of at least 11 digits, upper case letters, lower case letters, symbols, etc. Avoid common words or addresses as much as possible for better security.
- Never share your password with someone, even if you think they are trustworthy enough to keep it secret. Some phishing scams can be conducted by an email of a trusted person too! So make sure that the wifi connection is secure while sharing passwords over the internet or any other network otherwise people may hack into your device from their location and get your password.
- Be careful while clicking on any link or downloading something suspicious-looking even if it says it’s from a trusted source like Google, Yahoo, etc. It could be an attempt of phishing too! So make sure you check the URL before entering your login credentials for financial transactions and other confidential information that may pose to risk otherwise.
Phishing is becoming more common each day. It has become difficult to stay safe from cybercrimes, but with some efforts like reporting phishing on yahoo, you may be able to keep your online information secure. So, dont give up easily if you have been victimized by any of the scams or frauds! Report the matter to the authorities for better improvement!
I hope this article helped you in some way or another! Stay safe online always!
Thank you for reading! If you have any queries, feel free to ask in the comment section below. I will get back to you as soon as possible. Have a nice day ahead 🙂