Yahoo Groups started in early 2001 is one of the world’s largest online discussion boards, which is a hybrid form of an electronic mailing list and a threaded internet forum. It is an integration of technology from eGroups.com and community groups from Yahoo! Clubs. With yahoo group, One can create a group or join other groups of their interests. Members in a Yahoo Groups can also choose whether or not to receive a post on their group, emails from the group, and daily digest.
And in this article, we will be a discussion all about Yahoo Groups, from creating a yahoo group to joining the groups to deleting a group. So, stay tuned.
If you get bored reading each and every word on this page, then you can go to the specific subtopics with the help of the table of content below. So, let’s get started.
What is Yahoo Groups
Yahoo Groups is one of the Yahoo Services that allows users to create a group to form an email list that enables them to share messages using one email address. In simple terms, Yahoo Group is a platform that allows a user to post relevant content or topics on a related group of interest. Message in a group can be read or posted on the Group’s website itself or by a user’s email.
Types of Yahoo Groups
To simplify Groups are of four types, one is a public access group, and the second one is the member-only group. The third one is the announcement bulletin board, and the last one is the discussion forums.
Public Group: As the name says, anyone who has access to the group can join the discussion in a public groups. Joining a public group is a great way to start with Yahoo Groups.
Member-only group: This is a type of group where a moderator needs to accept you to the group. Only then you can view, or discuss with your group members.
Announcement Bulletin: is a type of group where only a moderator is allowed to post.
Discussion Board: it is similar to Yahoo Answers! Where you create a pool and discuss on that topic posting comments.
What is Yahoo Groups Invitation
Whenever you try to join a member-only group, you need to ask the moderator to add you to the group list or let’s say a request to join the group. For this, you will have to give in your Yahoo Mail id. If the moderator accepts your request, you will get invited to the group which you will receive in your Yahoo Mail inbox.
Likewise, whenever a group is closed in Yahoo Group, if the moderator creates another group, he/she will send you a request to join the new group in your email address.
How Do I Use Yahoo Groups
Yahoo group is a free platform that allows you to connect with your friends, family, and associates with the help of your email group. You can share interest ideas with the associates through the group where you can create your own group if you want, if not joining already created groups.
How Do I Create an Account in Yahoo Groups
To create an account in Yahoo Groups, you either need to have a Yahoo account, or you must be registered with Facebook or Google. Once you sign up with Yahoo, You will have access to other Yahoo Services like yahoo calendar, email, games, news, and so on.
Create a Yahoo Account
Here are the steps to create a new Yahoo Mail Account.
- Go to the Yahoo sign-in page and click the Create an Account button on the bottom of the sign-in form.
- No, you will be redirected to Sign in form, give in your personal details like first name, last name password, and username you want to use, and so on.
- Then click the continue button to go to the next step.
- Then you will have to verify your phone number. For this Yahoo will send a code to your phone number that you used to register Yahoo. Copy the code to the verify text box and confirm your phone number.
- Once your phone number is verified, you will get a congratulations message on your screen. That means you have successfully created a Yahoo account.
Access Yahoo Groups
- To access your group, the first thing you need to do is log in to your yahoo account. Open your browser and go to Yahoo sign-in page. Give in your yahoo email credentials and hit the sign-in button.
- Now, From the title bar of your Yahoo homepage, click on the Groups. The title bar of your homepage will have all the services that Yahoo provides. Alternatively, you can click the More… from the menu bar of your Yahoo Home page right below the search bar.
- Once you click on the Group link, yahoo will open on your browser. https://groups.yahoo.com/
- There you go, you have successfully logged in to Yahoo Groups, now I will be describing other queries in the next subtopics of this article.
How do I find Yahoo Groups?
Yahoo has made its user interface very easy to use of any beginner user. All the information is there on its home page. So, let’s start to use yahoo groups by finding a group.
Finding Group by Category
- Once you are logged into Yahoo Groups, look for the different categories that are listed on the homepage of the Yahoo group.
- There are a variety of group categories to choose from. Categories are: Cultures & Community, Entertainment & Arts, Family & Home, Games, Government & Politics, Health & Wellness, Hobbies & Crafts, Music, Recreation & Sports, Regional, Religion & Beliefs, Romance & Relationships, Schools & Education, and Science.
- Choose a category that you are interested in and want to explore more.
- Now, your page will display the subcategory of your main category. If you choose games, it will display the list of games on your screen. Choose one, and let’s go to the next step.
- Finally, all the groups that come under the category you choose will come up on your screen. Now. All you need to do is to join them.
Finding Groups by Searching
If you know the name of the group you want to join, you can search for the group by entering the query on the search bar from your Yahoo Groups page.
- Let’s suppose your group name is fish keeping guide. Now, let’s search for the group.
- Enter your query on the search bar at the top of the Yahoo Groups.
- Now, click the Search Groups button beside the search box.
- Now, Yahoo will display all the groups related to your keyword in the search result page.
How do you Join a Yahoo Group?
Once you have searched for the group, now its time to join the group. If you are joining a closed group, then you will have to wait until the moderator accepts you to the group and sends you an invitation. Here are the steps to join a Yahoo Group.
- Once you have searched for the group, click on the group and open it on your browser window.
- Next, click the Join Group button right next to About Group.
- Now, a form will pop-up on your screen containing information to send a request to the group.
- Enter your display name, the email address you want to use to join the group, and Message Delivery.
- Now complete the captcha and click the Send Request button.
- If the group is public, you will get access to the group instantly; else you will have to wait until you get the invitation from the moderator.
How do I Subscribe to Yahoo Groups?
Subscribing to any group is very easy on Yahoo Groups. Subscribing to a Group means that you are allowing the group to send you an email notification to your registered yahoo mail account. And the best part is that you don’t need to join the group to get the notifications. You can receive emails from the group without subscribing.
Here is how you can subscribe to a Yahoo Group.
- Login to your Yahoo Mail account and open the message composing page.
- Now, type the subscribing email address to the To section of your message composing page.
Every group has the following email address to subscribe to groupname[email protected].
The only thing you need to do is replace “groupname” with the actual name of the group.
- Now, leave the subject, and the message body blank and click the Send button. “send a blank message.”
- Next, you will have to reply to the confirmation mail to start receiving emails from the group.
Subscribing a group will only send you a notification to your email. You will not have access to all the group’s web features like calendar, photos, attachments, and so on. For this, you will need to join the group and access those features via the Yahoo Groups page.
How do I Unsubscribe from Yahoo Groups
To unsubscribe to a group via email, follow the following steps.
- Login to your yahoo mail.
- Open the yahoo email composing page by clicking on the Compose button from the upper left corner of your mailbox.
- Now under To field type this email address: [email protected]. And replace the group name by the actual name of your group you subscribed to.
- Next, click the send button to get a confirmation email, confirm via the email, and you will stop receiving emails from the group on your Yahoo Mail.
Participate in Yahoo Groups: Conversations, Attachments, Photos and More
You can do a lot of things with Yahoo Group, like a post to the group via conversations, attach files, images, and other attachments, search for the previous discussions, and so on.
Use Conversation Tab to Post to the Group
When you open the group, you have joined look for the Conversation tab in the menu bar of the page.
Here are the steps to post to the group via Conversations:
- Log in to Yahoo Groups and select the Group where you want to add a post. All of your groups are listed under All My Groups tab of the left sidebar Yahoo Groups page.
- Now, Click on the Conversations tab from the title bar of the page.
- Now, under conversations, click on New Topics and enter a new message and click the send button.
- You can also reply to a comment on your post by clicking on the “Reply to this message.”
- You can add external links, videos links like video from YouTube in your post too.
Send Email to the Group
Each group has an email address [email protected]. You just need to “replace the groupname by the actual name of the group.”
- Login to your Yahoo Mail account and go to the email composing page.
- Type [email protected] and replace groupname by the name of the group in “To” field.
- Now, type the message and add attachments that you want to send to the group.
- Finally, after completing your email, click the send button to send your email from Yahoo Mail to the group.
Where are all the Attachments of the Group
On the title bar of your group, there are tabs like Conversations, Photos. Files and More drop-down menu. All your photos attachments are under the Photos tab while other attachments are under the Attachments tab.
How to Leave a Group in Yahoo Groups
- Login to your Yahoo Groups. https://groups.yahoo.com/
- Click on the membership drop-down menu from the upper right corner of the group information.
- From the drop-down menu, select Edit Membership. This will open your profile information that you can edit in a new window.
- Now scroll down to the last of the page and click the Leave Group button.
- Again, click the Leave button from the pop-up confirmation window.
Search for the old Conversations/Posts
To search for the older posts or the conversations, you can type your query on the search conversations search bar staying at the group from the top of the group. Then press the enter button to search your question. Yahoo group then will display topics that are related to your search queries.
How to Create a Yahoo Group
- First, sign in to your Yahoo Groups. yahoo.com. Click on Sign in Button at the upper right corner of your screen.
- Once you are logged into your Yahoo Group’s home page, click on Create a Group from your left sidebar.
- A Create New Group window will pop up on your screen. Now. Give in your group detail on the form.
Enter the name of your group in the Name text field. As I am passionate about fishkeeping, I am naming my group Fish Keeping Guide.
Now, enter the description of your group. Make it short and sweet. Just describe what the group is all about.
In the next step, enter the URL of your group, I am giving the web address: fishkeepingguide.
Now, group email will automatically change to the text you wrote in Web Address.
Select the settings, Restricted and Private.
Restricted: Content will be visible to members only, Members requires approval from you to join the group and will be listed in the Groups Directory.
Private: Similar to restricted, but users can join the group on if you invite them to the group, and it won’t be listed in the Group Discovery.
Finally, Select your group category using the Category Drop-down menu. Select the relevant category, or else your group won’t be discovered.
- Now click the Next button to go to notification settings of the group.
- Select the Yahoo! Alias, the Email address you want to use for the group, and message delivery.
- Complete the Captcha and tick the I accept Terms of Service radio button.
- Finally, Click Accept and Create button to create your First Yahoo Group.
There you go, you have successfully created your very own Yahoo Group. Go to your homepage and check your group in the left sidebar. You will have a crown icon.
Edit your Group
Sometimes, you might need to edit your group settings, so to do so, follow these steps.
- Log in to your Yahoo Group account.
- Click on the group name that you run from the left sidebar of your homepage.
- Now, from the Group page, click on the Management Dropdown menu un the toolbar of your group.
- Then select Control Panel from the list.
- Now, edit anything on the Edit page and click the Save button.
- You will have to again confirm your edit by re-clicking the Save button.
Change Your Group’s Cover Image
- Login to your Yahoo Groups.
- From the navigation panel, click on the management dropdown menu.
- Now, from the drop-down menu, select Control Panel. This will open up the page where you can change the group’s detail.
- Scroll down to the section where you see Group Homepage Photo.
- There is a button called Add group homepage photo click it.
- Now, from the open dialogue box, select you to want to add as your group’s homepage photo.
- Now, select the image from your computer, drag the image to your cover image to reposition it.
- Click the Save button to save your new cover image.
Add Members to your Group
- Open your Group’s main page and click on the management dropdown menu.
- Then click the Manage Invitations from the list. This will open the Invite Members page on your screen.
- Now, in the text field, enter the email addresses of the people you want to invite, separated by a comma.
- You can select Add only to the mailing list for the users that do not have web access.
- Then click invite to send invitations to the email IDs you entered.
Transfer Group Ownership
A group can have multiple owners, so if you make any one owner of the group, the new owner does not automatically remove you. However, once you make someone the owner of the group, you can leave a group.
- Go to your group’s main page. Then click on the Management drop-down menu from the title bar.
- Next, select Manage Members from the list.
- Now, from the list of members from your group, select the user that you want to transfer your ownership to.
- Then, click Moderators to select a person from the list of Moderators of your page.
- Now, select the Owner as the role of that person and click the Save button.
You have successfully created a new Owner of your group.
Delete your Yahoo! Group
Are you sure you want to delete your group? If you cancel your group, it will get removed from Yahoo Groups; all your subscribers will automatically unsubscribe, deletes all the images, archives, attachments, photos, and events. However, if you want to get back, you will have 15 days to reactivate the group. Here is the step to delete your Group.
- Login to your Yahoo Groups and open your group’s main page.
- Now, click on the Management dropdown menu from the group’s toolbar and select Control Panel.
- Now, click About Group from the same toolbar.
- Scroll down to the end of the page, and Next to “Feedback,” type your reason for deleting the group.
- Now, click on the Delete Group button and reconfirm It by clicking the Delete button from the pop-up window.