Yahoo launched its app version for Windows 10 users in 2016. The app was designed to let users manage their e-mails and other Yahoo services easily. Yahoo Mail app for Windows 10 came with great features like personalization options, customization settings, etc, and created comfort and easy access to the users. The app was simple and hassle-free and would work flawlessly.
But, yahoo decided to discontinue the app in 2018. Anyway, you can still use your Yahoo mail on Windows using the web-based version. You can also use the “Mail app” that comes with Windows 10 and sync your Yahoo mail account with it. That way, you can enjoy the same benefits as before.
In this article, I will be discussing everything I know about the Yahoo Mail app for Windows that including the account set-up procedure, managing account settings, the problems with the app and how to fix them, etc. So, continue reading if you are interested.
I will be dividing this article into different sections for ease of reading and understanding.
Yahoo Mail App For Windows-Features
When Team Yahoo launched the app for Windows, it came with some exciting features. The users could easily manage their emails and other Yahoo services on the same platform using this app. Some of its key features are listed below:
- Ability to set up Yahoo account on Windows with ease and comfort
- A clean interface which makes it easy for users to enjoy their email experience. The Mail app comes with an intuitive design and is simple, yet powerful enough in what it does.
- Customization options to suit your preferences and ease of access
- Ability to mark a mail as read/unread, view messages from other folders like trash, etc using simple gestures on the app interface making it more user friendly.
- Ability to quickly view attachments on your mail without opening them
Does Yahoo Mail App For Windows 10 Still Exist?
Yahoo Mail launched its application version for the better experience of the users and to make their email experience more convenient. It certainly lived up to the expectations and was a great success. Users were loving it and the app was gaining popularity at a high pace. But, Yahoo decided to discontinue its application version for Windows in 2018.
But, Yahoo decided to discontinue this app in 2018. You can no more use the Mail app with Yahoo accounts.
However, you can still enjoy the features of this app by using yahoo mail on Windows in a web browser. You can also use the “Mail” application pre-installed with your windows and sync your account with it to get all the benefits that come along while using an official Mail App for Windows.
Why Was Yahoo Mail App Discontinued?
Yahoo never really disclosed the reason why it discontinued its Mail app for Windows, but there are some theories.
You see, Yahoo had not been doing very well in recent years and was acquired by Verizon. After it was bought, Yahoo began to lose market share and its user base declined because of the acquisition. Security issues also began to be a problem for Yahoo.
One fine day, a prompt message displayed over million of screens of Yahoo users that said, “Your Windows 10 app will stop working after May 22. Thank you for using Windows 10 app to check your Yahoo Mail. Going forward, please check your email in any browser on your computer.” That was the first time when they made it clear that the app was going to be discontinued.
Yahoo also lost the fight to Google’s Gmail service. Losing millions of its users, Yahoo had a hard time staying afloat. It looks like Yahoo didn’t want to invest in the Windows app because it was not profitable enough, but that’s just speculation for now.
Since Yahoo never disclosed the reason, I guess all we can do is speculate.
Note that even if the app version for Windows 10 is discontinued, you can still check your Yahoo mail in a browser on Windows. Yes, all your data is safe and you can continue to use Yahoo mail on Windows.
Setting Up A Yahoo Email Account To The Mail App
Even if the yahoo mail app for windows 10 is discontinued, you can still enjoy the feature by using the inbuilt mail application that comes with Windows. The good news is that the same account can be used on both your computer and phone, but you will have to configure settings for each separately.
Setting up a Yahoo email account with the mail app is very easy and takes only a few minutes. Here’s how to do it:
- Open “Mail.” You can search for it in the start menu or click on it from your list of apps.
- Click the gear icon that is located in the bottom-left corner to open Settings.
- Now, select “Manage Accounts” and click on “Add Account.”
- Then, select Yahoo as your email provider and click next. You will then be asked to enter your email address and password of the account that you wish to link with Windows mail app.
- Enter it and click done once you’re done.
The Mail app is now added to the list of apps on which you can check your email. You will be able to see all your emails from the Yahoo account on both desktop and phone.
Customizing Account Settings Of A Yahoo Mail
You can even customize the settings of your Yahoo account to make sure that you receive notifications and alerts from it on Windows.
To do so,
- Open “Mail” in the start menu and click on the gear icon.
- Now, click the gear icon and select “Accounts.”
- Select “Yahoo” from the list and click on “Settings.”
- You can change the notifications and alerts settings from here. You will be able to receive email, calendar invitations, contacts changes etc as per your preference.
How To Fix Sync Problems With A Yahoo Email Account?
Are you facing any problems while syncing your Yahoo email account to the Mail app on Windows?
No need to worry, there are a few solutions that you can try. Here’s how:
First of all, make sure that you enter the correct username and password for your mail ID.
If it still doesn’t work then check if SSL is enabled or not. SSL is a security protocol that ensures your data gets encrypted as it travels from the app to Yahoo servers and vice versa.
Since this problem occurs due to an issue with SSL, you can try disabling it by following these steps:
- First of all, open Settings in Mail and select Accounts.
- Now uncheck “Enable SSL Connection” option.
- Then, click on “Advanced” and uncheck SSL option under IMAP settings as well.
If the issue is still not resolved then you might have to delete your account from the Mail app. To do so:
- Go to the “Settings” in mail app and select accounts.
- Click on Yahoo email account that you want to remove, scroll down and select remove account.
- After removing the account, re-add it with your email address and password. You can also change the settings as you want after adding a yahoo mail to windows now that you have full access again.
How To Uninstall The Yahoo Mail App On Windows?
Yahoo Mail app does not work in your Windows 10 anymore. So there is no point in keeping it on your computer. It’s better to uninstall the app rather than keeping it unused.
Here’s how to do it:
- Go to “Settings” in your start menu and select “System.”
- Click on “Apps & features” from left-side pane of “Settings” window.
- It will open a list with all apps installed on Windows. Scroll down until you find Yahoo Mail under All apps section, click on it.
- Now, click on the “Uninstall” button.
That’s it! It will be uninstalled from your computer now. You can also re-install the app using Store if you want to use Yahoo mail again in the future.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
I am no psychic, but I know that many people will have some questions about Yahoo. Here is the most frequently asked question about the Yahoo mail app on Windows, I hope you like it:
I Can’t Find “Mail” In Start Menu. Where Is It?
It’s very possible that your Mail was uninstalled along with other apps when you upgraded to Windows from an older version. So, the first thing you should check is that the “Mail” app exists on your Windows or not. If it does not exist, you need to go back to the store and install it manually. If Mail is there in your Windows but still doesn’t work, then read the next question.
I Have “Mail” App Installed On My Computer But Can’t Find Yahoo Option Under Accounts Section. Why?
One of the most common reasons is that you may have selected “Hotmail” or any other account while setting up your email. To make sure, go to the Accounts section again and see if the Yahoo option appears in it. If not then reinstall the Mail app from the Windows store without selecting Hotmail/other accounts during the installation process.
I Get A Message Saying Something Like ‘Error while signing in’ When I try To Add Yahoo Email Account To Mail App! What’s Going On?
This error occurs due to the SSL connection issue we discussed above. You need to disable the SSL option first and then re-add the Yahoo mail account. You can also select other options like “IMAP” or “POP” while adding an email account again so that you don’t face this issue again in the future.
You might want to visit How To Access Your Yahoo Mails With Your Email Client Using IMAP and POP?
How Do I Set Up My Yahoo Login Credentials On Mail App?
It’s very easy to set up your yahoo mail login credentials on the Mail app. Go to the Accounts section in settings, select Yahoo email from the accounts list, and click on “Manual Setup.”
You will see a screen with all the fields needed to add a new account. Just enter your username and password details along with other options like incoming server and outgoing server and click on the “Save” button.
Finally, we have come to the end of this article where I tried my best to help you guys with all your queries related Yahoo mail app for Windows. If you still need more clarifications then feel free to ask me in the comments section below!
I wish success on everyone who is willing to use Yahoo mail on their Windows PCs!
Video Reference: https://youtu.be/h3XwgisFd48